Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

‘Skipped meals, was sent back from studios’

Singer speaks of the struggle to fulfil his dream and the hardships in Mumbai
Voice of India Debojit Saha goes back in time to recall an important phase in his career...
It is nice to be back in the country after a long and hectic tour of the US, about which I have already written in detail. I would say that it was a very satisfying and memorable tour, both personally and professionally.
During my travels and meetings with people from India, I was often asked about my career — about its ups and downs and, in fact, how I landed in Mumbai in the first place.
There is a misconception that Debojit Saha’s career started with the reality show Sa Re Ga Ma Pa. In a way, it had. But that is not absolutely correct. The show came later.
My struggle in Mumbai had started much earlier. Many of you have written to me, requesting me to tell the story of my early days. This is for those who came in late.
When I look back now, I am surprised by my own audacity. Let me start at the very beginning.
Growing up in Silchar, a small town in the Barak Valley of Assam, it was not easy to have big dreams. But I had one and it was deep in my heart. Ever since I was old enough to know it, music was my life.
Growing up, I had even landed a government job in Haflong, as an engineer in the PWD (roads).
It was a secure job and I was able to support my family. But I was not content. I knew that my calling lay somewhere else.
The person who shared my dream was my mother and I had vowed to fulfil her wish of establishing myself as a singer.
When my mother passed away in 2002, I was devastated.
It was then that my wife Vandana and I took the decision to go in search of my dream.
It was in 2002 that we arrived in Mumbai with some money, our savings, and a big dream.
Many land in Mumbai every day but very few survive.
Our idea was that we would stay for around 10-12 years and see what fate had in store for us. But I was soon to realise that it is easier said than done.
Our savings soon dried up and we had to skip meals, going for brunch to save money. I made numerous trips to studios, only to be sent back.
I even sat through the entire day in studios for voice testing without even being called.